I am so excited to bring back the Be Good To/Treat Yo’Self series. I have been experimenting a lot in the kitchen and trying out new recipes that I have utterly fallen in love with and this Banana Loaf has become a forever favourite. It is so bloody delicious. I found the recipe in Madeline Shaw’s first book: Get The Glow. I have had it in my list of recipes to try for a while and I found myself at home with a lot of ripe bananas on a rainy cold day and it was the perfect afternoon activity. Really easy and simple to make.
There is also something so comforting about this loaf. If you look at the ingredients below you will notice the absence of ‘naughty sugars’. Your body is going to thank you so much for substituting normal sugar with coconut sugar as you won’t become a victim of those terrible sugar spikes, that leave me exhausted. Coconut sugar has become a regular thing in my kitchen and it doesn’t actually taste like coconut at all- instead has more of a caramel taste. It is also abundant in Vitamin C and Amino Acids so is a great resource to help protect your immune system in these colder months!
To make your own you will need:
1 vanilla pod- I used 3/4 tsp of vanilla powder instead and it worked beautifully)
100g melted coconut oil
250g coconut sugar
4 ripe bananas
4tbsp of milk- I used unsweetened almond milk but you could use coconut milk, rice milk or whole milk
1 free range organic egg
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
275g flour- I used buckwheat flour but you could use flour or ground almonds instead
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
2. Melt your coconut oil.
2. Weigh out and then whack all of your ingredients into a food processor. If you are using a vanilla pod you are going to want to cut this in half and scrape out the seeds first.
3. When all of the ingredients are combined pour the mixture into a 900g/2lb loaf tin. Make sure you line the tin with baking paper first!
4. Bake for 50 minutes, until almost cooked through. The smells that will come from your kitchen will be simply divine and if you don’t droll then there is something very wrong with you indeed!
5. Cut yourself a slice and either eat as it is or smear on your favourite topping. I used Raw Ecstasty’s raw chocolate & activated almond spread which I got a sample of in November’s Sourced Box. The combination will make your taste buds sing!
It truly is very easy to make. Let me know if you give it a go to. I am also very keen to bring back this series with one or two posts a month, let me know if there is anything that you would like to see me make below!
Other recipe posts that you may enjoy: